IBM 300GB High IOPS SLC Modular Adapter for IBM System x
These solid-state drive (SSD)-based, high-performance, server-class storage adapters can provide the performance required for extensive computations while utilizing a reduced storage footprint.
- Improved environmental factors: significantly lower power and cooling costs, low management overhead, smaller storage footprint in the data center, and a much greener storage solution
- An alternative to SSD-based hard drives: accelerates applications, improves response times, and boosts efficiency
- IBM® branding: a single point of serviceability and enterprise-grade warranty to enable interoperability with a variety of IBM and partner products
- The ability to do more with less during these tough economic times: lower operational expenditure (OPEX) and capital expenditure (CAPEX) in applications that require high Input/Output Operations per Second (IOPS) compared to solutions that use a larger number of hard disk drive (HDD) and SSD devices to achieve equivalent IOPS
IBM 300GB High IOPS Modular Adapter Overview
The new family of IBM High IOPS Modular Adapters are the ultimate performance solution for embedded direct-attached storage (DAS). The offerings will include 300 GB, 600 GB, and 800 GB Multi Level Cell (MLC) adapters and a 300 GB Single Level Cell (SLC) adapter.
Designed to offer high performance with low latency and a low CPU burden, they accelerate applications such as web serving, data warehousing, data mining, online transaction processing, and high-performance computing. Their PCIe host interface, industry-standard drivers, and small form factor make them more flexible and easier to integrate into today's low-profile, high-performance system chassis. These adapters are designed to improve the performance of applications regardless of the mix of reads and writes.
The IBM High IOPS Modular Adapters are built on the latest enterprise-level solid-state technologies and include sophisticated advanced features to help deliver consistently high levels of performance, endurance, and reliability under some of the most demanding conditions. In addition, they are built to provide modular serviceability, reducing maintenance and replacement costs. The robust technology in these adapters helps optimize the number of program cycles to the flash storage, efficiently extending the rated endurance of flash storage by 20x more when compared to standard controllers.
These adapters use NAND flash memory as the basic building block of solid-state storage and contain no moving parts, thus are less sensitive to issues associated with vibration, noise, and mechanical failure. These adapters are built as block devices on a PCIe bus with advanced wear-leveling, ECC, and N+1 chip-level redundancy providing unparalleled reliability and efficiency.
Whether enabling high-performance computing or reducing the storage footprint, IBM offers High IOPS Modular Adapters to meet your computational requirements. These adapters are compatible with a wide variety of System x® servers.
Providing that additional peace of mind, your High IOPS Modular Adapter purchase is covered under IBM warranty.
Features and functions:
- IBM 300 GB High IOPS SLC Modular Adapter (90Y4373)
- Standard PCIe design
- Enterprise reliability
- High-capacity design with MLC NAND technology and SLC NAND technology
- Capacity options from 300 GB to 800 GB storage
- Installation as a single drive with no user configuration required, just plug and-play
- Low host burden - no static CPU and memory overhead
- Lower space, power, cooling, and management costs than traditional HDD solutions
- Robust flash management with ease of use
Warranty: One-year limited warranty or system.
Note: Solid-state memory cells have an intrinsic, finite number of program/erase cycles that each cell can incur. As a result, solid-state storage has a maximum amount of program/erase cycles to which it can be subjected. IBM's warranty for the solid-state storage is limited to devices that have not reached the maximum guaranteed number of program/erase cycles, as documented in the Official Published Specifications for the product. Solid-state storage that reaches this limit may fail to operate according to its specifications.
Note: 76.8 petabytes lifetime writes on the 300 GB SLC Modular Adapter
1 petabyte = 1024 terabytes of writes. Writes are tracked and reported by the adapter's management utility and may be affected by application writes, data patterns, and maintenance designed to maximize data integrity.
IBM 300GB High IOPS Specifications
- Height: 16 mm (0.63 in)
- Width: 68 mm (2.68 in)
- Depth: 167.65 mm (6.60 in)
- Weight: 227 g (0.50 lb)
- Please allow slight deviations for manual measurements.
- Approximate height: 11.4 cm (4.5 in)
- Approximate width: 24.1 cm (9.5 in)
- Approximate depth: 31.8 cm (12.5 in)
- Approximate weight: 648 g (1.43 lb)
- Operational: - 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F) at 0 to 3,048 m (0 to 10,000 ft)
- Nonoperational: - 40° to 60°C (-40° to 140°F) at 10,700 m (35,105 ft)
Relative humidity: 8% to 85% (non-condensing)
Maximum altitude: 10,700 m (35,105 ft)
The controller must be installed in a selected System x server system.
The 300 GB High IOPS SLC adapter support the following major 64-bit operating systems:
- Microsoft™ Windows™ 2008 SP1 (64 bit only)
- Windows 2008 R2 SP1
- Windows 2012
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux™ 5.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP4
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1
- VMware ESX 4.0 U4
- VMware ESX 4.1 U2
- VMware ESXi 4.1 U2
- VMware ESXi 5.0
Part numbers: 90Y4374, 00D8414